The gymnasium is open to all SPC staff and residents. It is managed by the College Office. In order to be eligible as a user, one must fill in the Safety Declaration Form and accepted the Health and safety rules. Brief instruction on use of the machines may be required.
If an accident should happen in the Fitness room within office hours, the staff member or residents concerned must notify the College Office at G016 immediately. If an accident should happen outside office hours, one must contact the Security at 6389 2706 for assistance.
1. Only those who are 16 or above, and have been trained to use the fitness equipment, and are able to provide fitness training records endorsed by OSA, are allowed to use the fitness room.
2. Other than the UM users as specified in item 1, they must sign a “Fitness Room User Undertaking Form” prior to the use of the fitness equipment.
3. Workout attire must be worn to use the Fitness Room. Recommended attire includes T-shirts, sport trousers and sports shoes. Weight gloves are recommended when using free weights. Open-toed shoes, high heels, jeans, leisure pants, sandals, slacks, blouse, and dresses, etc. are strictly prohibited.
4. Users should be courteous to others by limiting the length of their workout at a single station, and by following posted time limits when others are waiting.
5. If weights, pulleys or other parts are jammed, users should not attempt to free them without the staff-on-duty’s assistance. Report the problem to the staff-on-duty.
6. Users should always inspect the equipment for loose, frayed or worn parts before using. If in doubt, do not use the equipment and report the problem to the staff-on-duty.
7. To reduce the chance of injury, users should keep head and limbs clear of weights and moving parts of equipment at all times.
8. All equipment is to be returned to appropriate storage location after use.
9. Equipment is to remain at its appropriate location. Benches or equipment may not be moved from area to area without permission of staff-on-duty.
10. Weights are not to be propped against the walls, pillars, or mirrors due to the risk of damage or injury.
11. Personal belongings may not be left or stored in activity areas.
12. Participants shall use extreme caution in using equipment and weights to avoid potential injury to themselves or others.
13. Utilization of collars in free weight lifting is recommended.
14. All concerns and maintenance needs should be reported to the staff-on-duty.
15. There is a 30-minute limit per individual for using cardiovascular equipment when others are waiting.
16. Foods& drink are not allowed. Water bottles may be used only if they are made of a non-breakable material and contain water only.
17. Clean all machines and benches after use.
18. The Fitness Room is not continuously supervised. Please exercise with caution and at your own risk.
19. A maximum of 10 users at one time is allowed in the Fitness Room.
During intense physical training, such as dancing, injuries may occur. Residents must monitor their physical well-being and care for injuries promptly.
Injury may occur suddenly (ACUTE), or develop/continue over time (CHRONIC). Chronic injuries may interfere with training causing problems for three months or more and unless attended to, may develop into serious injuries. Minor muscle aches and pains often only require extra time warming-up.
SERIOUS injuries may involve bone and stress fractures, moderate to severe ligamentous injuries, spinal pain radiating to limbs, and other injuries requiring operative procedure, such as arthroscopy, ligament, tendon repair and/or immobilization, such as plaster.
Serious injuries may require MODULATION of activities necessitating students to participate only in light duties or even completely stop physical activities.
For injuries, depending on severity of injury, users may be advised to:
(i) Go to hospital Accident & Emergency Department by ambulance
(ii) Go to hospital Accident & Emergency Department by taxi
(iii) See his/her own family physician
(iv) See the University physician
(v) Attend physiotherapy treatment
If an accident should happen in the Dance room within office hours, the staff member or residents concerned must notify the College Office at G016 immediately. If an accident should happen outside office hours, one must contact the Security at 6389 2706 for assistance.